6/17/2018

THE BOOKS THAT WILL BE TRAVELLING WITH ME


Everyone must know by now that I'm off on Holiday soon and I'm crazy-excited. It's the first summer holiday I'll be taking since 4 years ago which, for me, is a pretty long time. Cus of this, I want it to be a brilliant mixture of both fun times and downtimes. In my downtime, I'd love to get back into reading books because it's something I haven't had the real chance to do for a long time. I'm always either busy-bodying around the place or writing for my blog. So, to make it a bit more interesting, I've decided to pick 3 different types of books for my holiday - they are:

THE ONE I'M HALFWAY THROUGH
Looking at the images, you can see THE MANIFESTO ON HOW TO BE INTERESTING by HOLLY BOURNE has very sadly had it's spine cracked. Believe me, the dread that I felt as soon as that happened hung on my shoulders for weeks (Just, kidding, I'm not that emotionally attached). But just below that line is where I'm up to in the book. So far it's been a good book - I really like the characters and the way it's written and I'm actually quite excited to see how the story unfolds.

"Bree is a loser, a wannabe author who hides behind words. But when she's told she needs to start living a life worth writing about, The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting is born. Six steps on how to be interesting. Six steps that will see her infiltrate the popular set, fall in love with someone forbidden and make the biggest mistake of her life."

THE EDUCATIONAL ONE
This one I am pretty excited about. It's YOU SAY POTATO by BEN & DAVID CRYSTAL. Now, if you're not really interested in the course I'm taking at Uni or just aren't a fan of English Language, you probably won't feel as excited about this book as I am. But, I'll tell you something, I'm bloody ecstatic! One of the main topics within the study of English Language that excites me the most is the concept of 'Accents' and exactly how and why there are so many interesting and quirky accent across the UK. To me, it feels like something that everyone would be quite interested in because, after studying it A-Level, it comes with some great laughs and relatability. Anyhow, this book is the exploration of all things English accents written by one of the most acclaimed English Language writers and his son. It's destined to be "Witty, authoritative and jam-packed full of fascinating facts" so it should be great for my downtime. 

"Everyone has an accent, though many of us think we don't. We all have our likes and dislikes about the way other people speak, and everyone has something to say about 'correct' pronunciation. But how did all these accents come about, and why do people feel so strongly about them? Are regional accents dying out as English becomes a global language? And most importantly of all: what went wrong in Birmingham?"


THE LUCKY DIP ONE
As someone who was really into reading during my school years, I made up quite the collection of books and, due to the big 'break' I took, they've all kind of been sitting there gathering dust. So, after I'd chosen those first two novels to take with me on Holiday, I thought I might as well bring another one along with me that I've never read before. It was between a few different books but eventually, I came to the decision to pack LET'S GET LOST by ADI ALSAID. Admittedly, this book isn't spoken about very much but has a substantial 4/5 stars on Amazon and is supposedly 'For readers of John Green'. I've read lots of the old John Green content; the typical TFIOS, Looking for Alaska, Will Grayson Will Grayson (which, by the way, is my favourite John Green book), and what not but, right now, I'm looking for books that will be a little bit more uplifting and focus on lightheartedness and positivity. I'm really hoping that this book can accommodate that and give me happy holiday spirits. 

"Mysterious Leila, who is on the road trip of a lifetime, has a habit of crashing into people’s worlds at the moment they need someone the most.
"There’s Hudson, who is willing to throw away his dreams for love. And Bree, a runaway who seizes every Tuesday—and a few stolen goods along the way. Elliot who believes in happy endings… until his own goes off-script. And Sonia who worries that she’s lost her ability to love.
Hudson, Bree, Elliot and Sonia find a friend in Leila. But Leila’s trip could help her discover something bigger — that sometimes, the only way to find what you’re looking for is to get lost along the way…"
❋    ❋    ❋    
Aside from those 3, I do have a Kindle so I'd love to know what your book recommendations are based on the preferences and vibes I've shared. Let me know in the comments!

8 comments

  1. these books look so good! i’m so excited to get back into reading now i’ve finished my gcses! great post!x

    amelia xx
    itsmeexx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy reading them and congrats on finishing your exams :) x

      Delete
  2. Looovvee this post Alice!! especially like the sound of the 'accent book' ... the bit where the author said 'What went wrong with Birmingham?' made me and my whole family laugh out loud ahaha. Beautifully written as always too x I recently read 'The Bees' by Laline Paull and absolutely loved it ... if you're after a 4th read then would deffo recommend!! x

    Love Fi // https://www.foreverfi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Fi! I just read the caption for The Bees and it looks really interesting - it will definitely be added to my To-Read list :) x

      Delete
  3. Let's get lost sounds right up my street - I'll be adding that to the wishlist!xx

    Lucy | www.lucy-cole.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll get around to reading it on Holiday so I can share my thoughts :) x

      Delete
  4. I'm also trying to get back into reading over summer, and all these books sound amazing! I study English at Uni and I'm loving the sound of You Say Potato!I'm slowly but surely making my way through my TBR list but definitely going to give this a read! Love this post! xx

    Evie | https://eviejayne.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR COMMENTING