3/24/2018

THE BEST PLACES TO EAT & DRINK IN: EDINBURGH


I have visited Edinburgh more times than I can remember - honestly, I probably couldn't count it on my fingers and toes. This past weekend, Jamie and I took the train up there for my birthday. Unfortunately, I was struck down with a pretty bad cold on the days leading up to our departure, so I didn't have much desire to go running around and drinking fancy alcoholic drinks this time around, meaning our trip wasn't quite as thrilling as usual. Nevertheless, we still ate some amazing food and drink and I decided that this time around, instead of doing ANOTHER blog post about an annual trip to Edinburgh, I'd mix it up and share my favourite places to eat and drink.

Obviously, despite visiting Edinburgh many times, I haven't tried every single food place so, if you have any bursting recommendations, do let me know!

Also, it's worth mentioning that I do have a preference for the New Town, so the large majority of these restaurants are situated very centrally in the New Town.

> BARS <

TIGERLILY - This super glamorous restaurant and hotel comes with a skilled team of cocktail makers. I've always meant to grab food in this place because, from what I've seen, it looks pretty good, but I've just never found the right situation. So, I've only ever tried the drinks but they have all been pretty awesome. On our trip last year, a mixologist quizzed me for a few minutes then made up my perfect cocktail - he listened to every detail and really seemed to thrive from the creativity of it; it was a fab experience.

BADGER & CO - Coming from someone who doesn't like the taste of Gin (yes, that's right, I'm not yet in the 21st century), popping this bar in the mix is pretty special giving the fact that, at the time of our visit in 2017, the drinks menu was mainly made up of gin-based drinks. Rather surprisingly, I enjoyed the drink and the atmosphere was so mellow. The tennis was playing, the sun was shining, and classic songs were playing.

THE DOME - C'mon, you must have heard of this place?! A pretty famous figure in the Edinburgh books, this STUNNING building sits loud and proud towards the East end of George Street. The majority of people that have visited Edinburgh have at least given this place a glance and I 100% recommend that you head in for a tipple, mainly just to have a look inside, especially if you're visiting at Christmas time.

LE MONDE - On the same kind of shelf as Tigerlily, this Restaurant and Hotel comes with just as much glitz and glamour but, this time, with a bit more of a night-life feel. Again, with wonderful cocktails and talented mixologists, there's always great music and, as far as I've heard, some very fun events.


> CAFES <

WELLINGTON COFFEE - Jamie and I popped in to this tiny little coffee house for a scone and a cup of tea in the middle of the day. The interior design was cute and inspiring - I loved the way people were coming in and out that were clearly regulars, it gave a great sense of community.

THE MILKMAN - The answer to your question of 'Where do you get that amazing looking cinnamon bun from in the image above?' lies right here. I grabbed that not-so-little sweetheart in the most adorable coffee house that I think Edinburgh has. My number one cafe position goes to The Milkman. A tiny little coffee house situated just over Waverly Bridge, on the border between Old and New Town (but formally classed as Old Town). The cute music, lovely staff and authentic interior: it's worth a breakfast visit.

WATERSTONE'S CAFE - Quite a random one but, the views from this calm cafe is brilliant! If you can bag a window seat, there are lovely views of The Castle. Also, the Waterstone's 'Cream Tea' offer is definitely worth it.

BURR + CO - Just across the road from The Dome, is this small coffee house has a bit more of a luxurious feel. From home cooked, wholesome food, indulgent cakes, healthy smoothies to seasonal drinks. We chose this place for breakfast; the bacon and cheese toasted bagel, and the sausage and cheese bagel. I'm actually a little surprised that I didn't know about this place, nor had seen it on Trip Advisor.

MARY'S MILK BAR - I've only actually been here once or twice, simply because it's often closed on a Monday, which is the day that I seem to always be in Edinburgh. Anyhow, if you want to tease yourself, get yourself following them on Instagram to see all of the amazing unusual ice cream concoctions. I can't even describe how many times I've scrolled past one of their images and daydreamed about eating 'Hot Cross Bun' or 'Tea and Jam' ice cream. I remember one time I visited for a hot chocolate - the flavour was orange and cinnamon which was so good that I bought a bag to take home.




> RESTAURANTS <

GUSTO - To be completely honest, on our visit to Gusto this time around, we got pretty bad service that really shocked us. Despite this, I couldn't leave it out of this list because the food really is wonderful. Delicious Italian food, definitely on the pricey side, with a great downtown-new-york vibe.

CAFE ANDALUZ  - If you know me, or follow me on Insta Stories, you'll know that I adore Tapas and Paella. This Spanish restaurant is basically an expensive but unique version of the ever-disappearing La Tasca. I mean, 3 words: Paella, with, cheese. WOW. Something I never thought I'd love so much in my life. Every time I think of this place, I have that sweet, sweet memory.

ANGELS WITH BAGPIPES - I think this is the only Old Town location on this list. I visited here a few years back for an al a carte meal. Pretty pricey, but pretty worth it.

JAMIE'S ITALIAN - I know, it's a chain, and you might have one in your town, but the Edinburgh restaurant is stunning. It's situated in the beautiful Assembly Rooms with big, tall ceilings. You may or may not already know that the food there is equally as delicious.

YO!SUSHI - Again, this is a chain restaurant all across the UK but, similar to the Waterstone's Cafe, this place is worth visiting even just for the views. The Princes Street branch was the location of the first Yo!Sushi I ever tried and, luckily for us, we have been placed in window seats every time. And, even luckier, on beautiful sunny days. The castle view is amazing and great for watching the people busy around Princes Street.

THE HUXLEY - I'm desperate to try the evening food at this grand Scottish restaurant because, upon our visit last year, we visited for Breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed it. You can see our Huxley breakfast in the image above; I chose pancakes with a super packed berry smoothie. It is a little on the expensive side, but definitely worth a treat.

What are your favourite places to eat at in Edinburgh?


2 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing! I am going to Edinburgh tomorrow and what can be even called a trip to another country if you don’t eat tasty every day??
    So yeah now I’m mostly excited about food, especially after your post 😂

    Oksana
    www.i-am-ok26.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy!! You'll have an AMAZING time - Edinburgh is magnificent x

      Delete

THANKS FOR COMMENTING