12/24/2018

LESSONS I'VE LEARNT IN 2018


Obviously, aside from the odd few things in lecturers, I've learnt a lot over the past year. Some things good, some things not so good - but all worthwhile. Here are some lessons that I've learnt in 2018.

I ' M   O N L Y   H U M A N

At the start of 2018, I worked in retail. It's fair to say that it was around that time that I started really listening to my motto: 'I'm only human'. This initially came from the idea that customers in the shop would want me to run a marathon, perform magic tricks, and turn day to night for them - I quickly realised that it's normal that I can't be good at everything, make a miraculous change in customer service, or find their bloody order. However, this motto has, sure enough, followed me like a rather pleasant shadow all year. If I've ever found myself in bad moments of self-doubt or feelings of worthlessness, I've been able to remind myself that 'I'm only human'. It's physically impossible for one person to be good at everything, please everyone, AND be healthy all at once - but that's completely and utterly natural and okay.

C H A N G E    C A N    B E    G O O D

It's without argument that I've undergone some pretty big changes this year, especially with the whole University malarkey (if you're new, you might not know, I started University this year). Nevertheless, I've loved every single minute of this change. I've welcomed new friends, new feelings, new places, new experiences, and new tasks. While not all of these things will have been a great success, they've definitely all managed to shape me as a person. I think, as well, that I've often worried a lot about changing. I'm often a home bird, attached to the village in which I grew up, and the friends and family that watched me grow; now, though, I'm embracing new chapters in my life and realising that embracing these things doesn't always cause 'bad change'. I'm in love with the city that I live in now, but still, have a special place for that village. I have wonderful new friends but have also found joy in meeting up with friends from years ago. It's things like this that truly give me the confidence to keep going.

W H O    M A T T E R S   M O S T

As I mentioned before, I've welcomed a lot of friends into my own bubble. From work colleagues to University friends, I'd consider myself a lot more social these days than I used to be. I've also started to realise, perhaps just as I grow older and maturer, that it's really important to hold on to those people who care for you. Whether that's parents or friends, I think that this year I've finally started to realise who matters the most in my own life. It is something that takes a lot of personal development and it helps to know exactly what you want out of a friendship and, in some respects, be a bit harsher on yourself. I'm now surrounded by people who care, people who will check up on me even when they don't just 'want something', people who want to spend time with me, and people who love me. Most importantly, I've learnt to reserve time for myself; after all, I have to live with me.

S H I N E    A T    A N Y    T I M E

I've gone my whole life as the quiet one. I was never 'Head Girl', choir leader, Student Representative, or on the School Council - I've always kept my head down and pretty much plodded my way through education. After taking a gap year in 2018, I realised that I yearned for a 'purpose'. When I started University, I told myself that it was my time to shine. I went in with my shoulders back and my head held high. I borrowed books from the library, I threw my hand up in Seminars, and I landed a job at the Uni in the first few weeks. While I still have a long way to go, and a lot more waiting to be done, I am really proud of the things I've achieved so far. I've learnt that I don't always have to be the quiet one, I can shine at any time.

I    C A N

Possibly most importantly, and possibly most stereotypically, I've learnt that there are more things that I can do than I thought. I can go to a nightclub and enjoy myself. I can go for drinks with the girls. I can pitch a blog post to a brand. I can get a job. I can go abroad. I can and I will. 2018 has been somewhat liberating. I've learnt so many things about myself, I've learnt my own capabilities, and learnt my own desires. I'm, of course, still (and probably always) learning the things that I can and can't do but, in some ways, I'm looking forward to being able to look back again and discover even more about myself.

What have you learnt in 2018?

4 comments

  1. I love this post. Its always good to reflect on what you've learnt over the year and I think I can safely say 'I'm only human' is something I've learnt too. Working in retail you definitely learn that, thats for sure!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 100% a motto that I'm going to keep close throughout 2019, it's been a saviour for the past year x

      Delete
  2. My biggest takeaway from 2018 was the positive power of saying no sometimes. xx

    rhymeandribbons.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these reflections on the last year. I have also learnt to believe in myself and will 100% take this motto with me into 2019!

    Justkatiee.com

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR COMMENTING