8/17/2015

DIY: WHAT I MADE MONDAY



I'm super happy with the turn out of this creation. It is the first time I've actually made something successful from Pinterest. 

It took me a while to introduce succulents into my wannabe-chic bedroom, but I now found an excuse. This super cute, easy DIY pot really reflects happiness and positivity because of the smiling cat.

It's made from a used and washed lemonade bottle. I cut out my shape using a Stanley Knife (not the safest things, I know) along the marked lines. Cutting it was probably the hardest part but I didn't particularly focus on it being perfect because I knew a lot of the edges would be covered. 

I then went into the garden and spray painted it matt white. I seriously enjoyed using the spray paint - it was such fun! I applied one coat in the morning and another in the afternoon for maximum opacity. 



The succulents are from B&Q and they came in a big glass bowl, meaning they were pretty pricey at £10. However, I think I will eventually find a different use for the bowl. The plants got de-potted and placed into Cactus Compost. If you're replanting cacti or succulents, it is important to use the correct compost because they use a lot of nutrients from the soil around them. 

Finally, I drew on the face and painted the ears. I'm so please with how it turned out and I can't wait to watch my plants settle into their new home. 

What DIY have you been doing lately?




20 comments

  1. Aww this is so cute and very Pinterest like! I love reading posts like these. So glad I came across your blog! Thanks for sending me your link lovely.
    Beth x
    MissBeautyObsession

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was totally aiming for a Pinterest looking product but it isn't always easy :p

      Delete
  2. This so cute! And thanks for letting me know where I can buy succulents from I've been looking for ages!

    What soil do you use? I own cacti already but it came in its own soil and I am planning to re-plant them soon. I had no idea you needed a special soil for them D:

    www.laurcaud.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought lots of shops sold them until I started looking - I'm glad I ended up in B&Q :)

      The soil is just Cacti/Succulent Compost from B&Q's own brand and I got a small bag for around £4. It's not compulsory to get this soil but it is ideal for caring for the plants - hope this helped :)

      Delete
    2. Helped a lot thanks! I've written that on my shopping list :)

      Can't wait to buy some succulents :D

      Delete
  3. This is so cute, I do love anything with cats on it! xo

    http://rachelnicole.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, as soon as I saw it I fell in love :)

      Delete
  4. This is such a creative idea, I showed my mum and she had no idea it was a lemonade bottle! I'll definitely be trying this once I buy some spray paint, the cat face is such a cute feature too!
    Dalal x monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww this is sweet - thank you :) good luck on your own x

      Delete
  5. This is such an amazing idea, it would be great for keeping bits and bobs in. I'm thinking about making pig ones.

    Olivia // BLONDE LA MODE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely!! I'm obsessed with it and I am super excited to see if/how you adapt it :D

      Delete
  6. Awh gosh that's too cute - I love the minimalism! I've seen this project on Pinterest multiple times, but have never actually attempted anything from that website. They all seem too good/easy to be true! Glad yours worked out so well though.

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all seem easy but they often don't turn out as well - I'm glad this one did, haha :)

      Delete
  7. I love this idea! I'm actually really excited to recreate this now ♥ Just came across your blog and I'm loving it :)

    Edie x
    thelifeofedie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my this is so cute! I really want to get into DIY soon x

    www.pintsizedbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR COMMENTING